The Southern Appalachian Office of The Wilderness Society in Sylva, NC is seeking a part-time (16 hours/week) paid summer intern (10-12 weeks) to assist with organizing and updating the North Carolina Mountain Treasures campaign. Duties will include updating and revising descriptions for each area, scanning old books into PDF format and generally refreshing the campaign language and web presence (www.ncmountaintreasures.org). The North Carolina’s Mountain Treasures are 41 areas within our Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests that stand out with special conservation, recreation, scenic, and cultural values. The United States Forest Service is now revising the management plan for our public forests in Western North Carolina. This is our opportunity to gain better protection for these valuable places, and up-to-date information is critical to the success of the campaign.
- Review Mountain Treasures content for grammatical errors and refresh the campaign language.
- Conduct research and update descriptions about the Mountain Treasures areas in conjunction with staff.
- Scan older versions of Mountain Treasures books into PDF format to be posted to the website.
- Research the most user-friendly way to share the large PDF files on our website (www.ncmountaintreasures.org).
- Perform general administrative duties in support of assigned project work.
- Take advantage of opportunities to work in the field with TWS staff to inform project work.
- Must be enrolled in or have recently graduated from an educational institution with courses leading to the attainment of a degree, certification, or diploma.
- Demonstrated desire to learn about and work on public land issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Willingness to work from the Sylva office
- Must be a team player and willing to work in a collaborative environment
- Willingness to adapt and remain flexible as projects and priorities change
- Self-motivated, passionate, and professional
- Most of all – willingness to have fun while producing great work!
- Internships are paid
- TWS will not provide any funding, benefits, or other fiscal compensation.
- Internships are available on the following annual basis:
- Summer (Jun - Aug)
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and recent writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use subject line: Southern Appalachian Office Internship.