The Wilderness Society worked with our conservation partners to improve the proposal through the permitting process.
If constructed, the West Butte Wind site will produce clean energy and limit impacts to wildlands and wildlife habitat. Here are some of its benefits:
- The 104-megawatt site would power 50,000 homes.
- The site would not overlap with proposed wilderness.
- It’s near existing roads and transmission lines, limiting the amount of additional construction that would be needed to support a project there.
The project site is on private lands but the access road and transmission line would cross public lands. Measures to limit potential impacts to eagles and greater-sage grouse will be important to carry out if the project is constructed.
- Map of West Butte Wind:
- BLM Fact Sheet on West Butte Wind:
- BLM project website for West Butte Wind: